Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Selling Cookies

I've decided to go for it.  Selling cookies that is.

So far, I've only made cookies for family and friends.  I knew that I'd eventually want to start selling, but there's so much to be done to get started.

I need a commercial kitchen to bake out of.  I've got that.

I need a license from the health department.  That's in the works.

I need a website to show my cookies and prices.  This is the major problem.  I just don't know how to price!  Well, I know the prices I want, I just don't know how to clearly get that across to potential customers.

Do I charge by the platter - small, medium, and large?

Do I charge by individual cookie?

I've seen it done both ways.  (I've actually had it both ways on my website already!  First I had individual prices (per 6 cookies), now I've changed it to per platter.  Now I don't know!)

I prefer to show the price of each individual design and allow people to "build" their own platter.  Then there's the question - State the price per individual cookie, the price per 6 cookies, the price per dozen?  Oy.

If I just show the prices per platter, won't people want to make changes to it?  Like add a few extra cookies, or different designs, or something?  I would think so.

I'm thinking about a combo plan.  I can show actual platters and their prices.  I can also show individual designs and their prices for those that aren't interested in any of the platters as they are.

Will I confuse them? I want it to be clear, make it easy, and not scare them away with the prices.

Is there anyone with advice from me - either as a buyer or a cookie seller?  Here's my new website.

I just started a facebook business page.  I'd be thrilled if you followed me there.  I posed the question on my wall about suggestions for my website.  I'd love to hear your thoughts either here or there.

Thank you!!

Oh, and before I go. . .  I made these cookies last weekend. Can you spot the ridiculous mistake that I made? I need a do-over!





Follow Sugar Dot Cookies




No comments:

Post a Comment