Thursday, January 19, 2012

Bandage / Band Aid Decorated Sugar Cookies

A co-worker of mine had minor foot surgery. I had the hardest time trying to decide on a cookie design for her. I had a bandaged foot idea. Then I thought it was stupid and decided to make snowmen. Then at the last minute I went back to the bandage idea. I wish I had stuck with snowmen!

Those aren't sooooo bad. I think they're the best of the bunch. It gets worse. . .

Those feet are hilarious and not in the funny, ha ha way I had hoped. They're hilarious in that they are so completely lame. I almost didn't include the foot cookies in my package but I didn't have enough of the band aids, so in they went. They'll be good for a laugh of some sort anyway.

Would you like to know how to make the band aid cookies?

You'll need . . .
2.5" square cookie cutter, cut squares into thirds (rectangles)
2" square cookie cutter, cut corners off with 2.25" circle cutter
1.5" round cookie cutter
blue and green royal icing - 20-second, #2 tip

(20-seconds is the time it takes to come back together after being "cut" with a butter knife.)

Here's what I did. . .





For the rectangular band aids - cut dough with a 2.5" square cutter. With the cutter, cut each square into thirds, creating rectangles.

For the squares - cut dough with a 2" square cutter. Cut the corners off with a 2.25" round cutter.

For the round ones - cut circles with a 1.5" round cutter.









Flood the cookies with a #2 tip and 20-second icing. Allow to dry for a little while.



(I can't imagine anyone will be making foot cookies with band aids on them, but on the off-chance. . . You can see how they came about the same way.)










Flood the center of each band aid. Allow to dry for a little while.














With a #1.5 tip and the same icing, add rows of dots.

So, what would I have done differently? Just about everything. Well, I would have preferred a totally different design. But if I went with the whole bandage thing?

I would have only done band aid shapes. And just the rectangular ones. I'm not a fan of the squares and circles.

I'm happy with the flooding technique I used and the way the design came out.

I'm also glad that I did them in blue and green. I thought about doing them in tan but decided that they needed some color.

I would not do the feet again.

It's time for the most embarrassing part of this post . . .

Keepin' it Real . . .


I showed you what worked, what I wasn't thrilled with, now it's time to show you what REALLY didn't work . . .


I'll wait until you've stopped laughing.

I showed them to my son and asked him what they are.
He said, "Feet with sandals".
"Sandals?" I asked.
"Yeah, roman sandals."

In case you were thinking the same thing (or worse), those are feet wrapped in gauze. Horrendous, huh? No, these weren't included in the cookie package.

You know what I thought about making? Rolls of gauze. I'm soooo glad that I didn't attempt it. The only reason that I didn't was because I thought they'd end up looking like rolls of toilet paper. Smart thinking, eh? At least I made the correct decision on that one.

. . . . . .

This whole set is definitely my least favorite of the cookies that I've made so far.

But I'm already thinking ahead to my next batch. I'm going to a bridal shower in a few weeks. The mother of the bride gave me a wedding cake cutter to use for the cookies. I want to decorate them with flowers. My mind is swimming with different flower possibilities. You'll be seeing what I come up with soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment